Wednesday, May 17, 2006

ME on the treadmill?

You've got to be kidding!

But I did it. Finally. I've had this plan in my head for weeks, maybe months, to turn myself into a runner. Don't laugh. It's true.

I'm not the gym type. At least not now. Too fat. Silly I know, you don't have to be fit to go to the gym. But I'm not going, if ever, until I'm not embarrasing in work out clothes. So that leaves exercising at home. And luckily we have a treadmill.

So my plan has been this: start slow. I'm in the worst shape I've ever been in. Really. I think I would enjoy being a runner but when I go outside and try I get about 3 houses before my lungs are burning. So I came up with a plan (or did I read it somewhere) to walk for 2 minutes, run for 30 seconds, repeat. For 10 minutes. Doesn't sound like much but when you've done nothing for as long as I have it's a start.

And today I finally did it. It's only 3 bursts of running but I made the last one a full minute. And I enjoyed it. I'm going to do this for a week or so and when my lungs feel better I'll add 5 minutes. Then another 5. Then make the running parts all a minute. And just keep going and going until maybe I can run a full 10 minutes. The last part is vague I know. I'll work it out (no pun intended) as I go.

So anyway. I'm proud of myself. It was only 10 minutes but it's a start.

2 comments:

Kim Sonksen said...

Oh no no no no no - don't say it was ONLY 10 Minutes. That is what every expert will tell you to do anyway. Start in moderation, don't do it until you almost collapse as then you won't be doing anything for the next 7 day and have to start from scratch again.

10 Minutes is FAB - you go chica!

Mary said...

Good for you!!! What a wonderful start!